Today I was going to write a totally emo post about how hard it is to be a writer, maker and a blogger in Australia. But I decided that would be interesting to ZERO people and that was probably best written in my diary and hidden under my bed. So INSTEAD I thought I would tell you about a few ace things I’ve seen around the traps lately, in case they seem interesting to you too. That’s WAY better than emo ramblings right? I think so. I do.
1 : Netflix are about to screen a new series starring Winona Ryder! I’m really excited about this and I know I’m not alone in my Winona fangirl-ness. It’s called Stranger Things and is apparently a ‘supernatural thriller’. IMDB says: “When a young boy disappears, his mother must confront terrifying forces in order to get him back.” It’s due on Netflix on July 15th – apparently across all territories, so Australians don’t have to wait and fret. (Found via Bust)
2. Writer Zena Alkayat and artist Nina Cosford have created a gorgeous illustrated biography of Jane Austen. It looks amazing and I am going to buy myself a copy. This book is part of a series of similarly beautiful and illustrated life stories. The others explore the lives of Coco Chanel, Virginia Woolf and Frida Kahlo. I THINK these might be fresh editions of an existing series. Regardless, the books look ace. (Found via Brain Pickings)
3. I read this updated report about the little boy and the gorilla and felt it gave a realistic insight into how this tragic event played out. I am so glad the little guy made it out of there. How terrified he must have been. Poor gorilla dude. Sometimes things play out in ways that are just the worst, but we can learn the best stuff from the crappest things, I reckon.
4. If you love pop culture like I do, you might love listening to this! Two smart and funny journalists discuss all the things we love… it’s kind of like an audio program in the spirit of Leigh and Annabel’s show, I guess… ALTHOUGH there are some ace non-highbrow nostalgic-riddled films and shows discussed. Anyhow, this is a cute ep to start with. It features some Gilmore Girls critique/discussion and lots of talk about TV mums.
5. Lena Dunham is casting off her apology addiction. (This decade in social commentary is surely going to be summed up with a picture of Lena Dunham.)
6. Which Outlander character are you?! Gosh. How good is Outlander? I never want to stop watching it. If you are a total Outlander tragic like me, you can take the quiz and revel in your Outlanderishness. (I got Clare!)
7. Make coffee and walnut cakes. They look like the PERFECT size and I want one for breakfast please.
8. Rude words alert. Bracing content alert. Angry alert. : But honestly, if you are having a bad day, this very snarky Facebook page might cheer you up. Don’t be mad at me if you are offended. I warned you!
9. There’s a REDDIT about GOMI? Who knew?! I won’t link to it here, but Google if that sounds good to you. It’s so meta to have a snark site about a snark site. It’s hurting my brain!
10. If you’re looking for a fancy villa in Canggu, Bali, then this might tickle your fancy! I would like to go there some day. And eat pastries from Monsieur Spoon…. and sip Bintang…. and order in Nasi Goreng… (Found via My Scandinavian Home)
12. If you are in Ballarat – there is an ace, friendly and super social crochet group waiting for you! Maybe you wanna go and hook with them?!
13. If you are a stitch-y type in or near Bendigo – Craft Alive needs you to help them make quilts as part of a Quilt-a-thon to benefit kids living with cancer. If you are not in Bendigo, you can still help. Details here. Quick sticks!
14. I’m reading this lady’s book and I love it.
Happy reading! That was so much better than emo, existentialist ramblings, right?
I hope your day is ace!!!
See you back here soon!