I have something very exciting to tell you about!
Every year The Mirabel Foundation throws an Easter party for the families they support. Janine from Mirabel told me all about the party last time I saw her. There are egg hunts and delicious food and games and things.
There are also bunnies. Handmade, soft toy/softie/plushie kind of bunnies. In fact, each year they save all the bunnies from Softies For Mirabel and they become treasured presents, gifted to the kids at Easter! How good.
I think it would be SO GREAT to get bunnying along and sew or knit or crochet rabbits just for this important Easter celebration. The more bunnies, the better. The kids will love it (and apparently the grandparents really love the toys we all make too!)
Janine said that the softies we send start some very sweet conversations between the Mirabel kids and the family members who are looking after them. (Mirabel children have lost a parent or are no longer in the care of their parents due to illicit substance abuse). Those conversations seem like a really good thing to me. I feel proud that we are a tiny part of the good that Mirabel does. So let’s keep doing that!
If you’d like to join in the Mirabel Bun-anza, by making and send a bunny, here’s what you need to know:
1. It needs to be handmade – any kind of handmade will do, as long as it’s something you think a child would like to cuddle.
2. The deadline is March 15th, 2015.
3. Send to : Mirabel Bun-anza c/- PO Box 1126, Collingwood, 3066, Victoria, Australia
4. I’ll share the bunnies via Instagram as they arrive – check the hashtag #mirabelbunanza
5. Mirabel and Meet Me At Mike’s would love you to share this project around!
6. If you know of any great bunny patterns or tutorials, add them in the comments below!
7. Yes! You can link to this post or copy and use the badge or details about the Bun-anza to help spread the world!
Please help us to make the Mirabel Easter Party even MORE rad!
Vintage bunny illustrations by Richard Scarry