Good morning champs! It’s time for this week’s episode of the bolstering, good news filled Feeling A Bit Sh*t. It’s the cheer up you didn’t ask for, and may not have even needed, courtesy of moi. No need to thank me.
1. Queen guitarist Brian May is documenting the rehabilitation of a hedgehog he found – via a brilliant Instagram account. You read that right. The hedgehog is now named Phil. “Phil is really healthy in every way except his badly damaged leg is not healing,” Brian says as he takes us on a journey into the fixing-up of his cute new pal. More here.
2. The best thing I saw on Facebook this year was this. (link) Found via Beci.
3. A pet fish found its way back home after this week’s Sydney storm. Her name is Jasmyn and she had a will to live like no other. Practically a real life Nemo, don’t you think? More here at the ABC.
4. A brilliant (old) story that deserves its current revival and reminds us we all have so much to learn from each other and that kindness is the only way forward. (Link)
After learning my flight was detained 4 hours, I heard the announcement: If anyone in the vicinity of gate 4-A…
5. This amazing 1800’s quilt. “Mrs. M. Baker, of Lone Tree, has just finished a silk quilt which she has been seven years in making. It has the solar system worked in completely and accurately. The lady went to Chicago to view the comet and sun spots through the telescope that she might be very accurate. Then she devised a lecture in astronomy from it,” The New York Times reported in 1883. Read more at The National Museum of American History.
6. Beautiful photograph/s alert. The One Two Three series by Japanese photographer Shin Noguchi’s gorgeously (is too a word!) follows the adventures of his three little girls – nine-year-old Yumeji, four-year-old Kotoyo, and two-year-old Hikono. Read more at Ignant.
7. Molly from My Name Is Yeh shared the recipe for these delicious-looking latke and they’re on my list to cook this weekend.
8. This mum displayed the correct response when her daughter’s new (male) bestie asked to be part of a sleepover. So good. Read about it here.
9. Myf and Zan unpacked the Lena Dunham interview this week on Bang On and I loved hearing that because I had THOUGHTS but no where to put them. Listening to them chat about it was semi-like chatting to some friends about it. (They also discussed Knickers the Cow who I look up to a lot.) More good stuff in their show notes, too.
10. Of course you would like to know about Fluffy Mary, right?
11. ABC Life published a piece by Grace Jennings-Edquist about how – despite what we sometimes think – technology is helping plenty of folk connect and stave off lonely days. Read it here.
12. Brilliant photos of dogs mid-treat-catch. It’s as good as it sounds. See those here.
13. Elena Ferrante’s books are being brought to life (My Brilliant Friend screening now in Australia on Foxtel) and this pasta-companion piece at my fave Food52 celebrates the fact.
PHOTO BY BOBBI LIN/ Food52
14. In case you missed this. (link)
Bold choice going with decorations inspired by the Handmaid's Tale. pic.twitter.com/Ze2kZX65lp
— Nick Jack Pappas (@Pappiness) November 26, 2018
15. The Guardian published a piece by Rachel Roddy on ‘Why Jane Grigson is a cook’s best friend‘. (I have lots of her books and I love them too, RACH!)
Phew. I think that will do for this week. I hope you find something you like in there and I hope your weekend is as peachy as possible. Love to you!
your pal, Pip