Softies For Mirabel is our world-famous handmade toy drive to benefit the children (and carers) The Mirabel Foundation supports.
Let me tell you a little bit more ..? Cool.
The children Mirabel assist have had a challenging start to life. One or both parents have had problems with substance abuse – and related issues. In fact, many Mirabel kids have had been abandoned – or orphaned because of drug use.
BUT – they are NOW being looked after by caring relatives – and The Mirabel Foundation supports the whole gang in all kinds of ways – including counselling and respite care (and other things too.)
You can read some of their stories here OR scroll down to find out about this ace thing we do every year to send even more love in the Mirabel kids’ direction. Or do both of those things. That would be great.
How to be part of Softies for Mirabel!
Make a toy, share a photo of it on social media (if you like!) and then send it on to The Mirabel Foundation. It will be matched with the exact right child and be a very special buddy to a very ace kid. Read over the guidelines – and leave any questions below for me to answer!
- The hashtag for social media is #SoftiesForMirabel – tag @meetmeatmikes and @mirabelfoundation if you share on Instagram and would like us to see!
- Your toy should be handmade (with love!) and ready for an ace kid.
- It’s okay to use buttons and other findings because the special Mirabel Foundation toy/kid matchmaker will make sure that toys with buttons or other fancy bits don’t go to small children or babies.
- It’s quite good if you don’t name your toy – kids love naming them all by themselves.
- You can send a letter to The Mirabel Foundation staff with your toy – but best not to write a note to the recipient of your toy because it’s important to make sure they are not getting notes from people they don’t really know. Makes sense, right? Here is the address: The Mirabel Foundation,
PO Box 1320, St Kilda South, Victoria, 3182, Australia.
- We don’t need new toys or other kinds of handmade items, but thank you!
- Check the hashtag on Instagram for new favourites each week – or for ideas and toys from previous years.
- Deadline is 27th February 2018 but you can get making, snapping, treating and sending any time from now.
This is such a great way to celebrate making, ace kids, crafty talent and community. You really should take part (or get your office or school making as a gang! The more the merrier!)
Feel free to share the details – or images/text in this post – with fellow makers, too!
Are you in?!
See lots of toys that people have kindly made – like the ones below – here!